Are you planning on remodeling your home? Don't forget the tech — specifically, the lighting! You can upgrade your current fixtures with retrofit lighting solutions to work for you!
By adding smart LED technology to all your lights, you'll have more control over your home and save energy! Let's dive into why retrofit lighting solutions are necessary during your next home remodel!
Why Retrofit Lighting
Your regular lighting system works fine, so why bother with the upgrade? Because you can get more out of your lighting system! Upgrading your lights will give you more control over your home and increase your energy savings since the LED lamp tech reduces light energy consumption.
But it also improves the light level in your home, giving you brighter light or more coverage. And smart lighting can even help with your home's security!
Pro Tip: Retrofit lighting installation is flexible and usually works with your existing wiring, so it's perfect for remodeling — contact your local integrator before you start so that you can plan ahead!
As we've said before, adding smart lighting to your home will save you energy. But how does that work? With smart technology, you can control every aspect of your lights, including dimming or switching them off when no one is around.
When combined with occupancy sensors, you can take that even further and reduce electricity consumption by 30 percent! And with daylight/UV sensors adjusting the lights according to the amount of natural light, you can reduce electricity consumption by up to 40 percent!
What Goes into Retrofitting
So, what does it mean to "retrofit" your lighting system? It can mean a couple of things. Technically, you can make any lighting fixture "smart," either with smart bulbs or a smart switch, which can do the job. But a true retrofitting project goes much deeper. It means:
- Adding occupancy sensors, daylight sensors, and dimming control.
- Limiting your switches to one sleek panel (you can assign specific actions to a particular smart switch, like dimming to a certain level each time).
- Connecting all your lights to one smart interface you can control, like a recessed control panel or smart device.
- Splitting your lighting network into separate groups to give you more control (like if you want to dim the lights over just the TV for movie night!).
- Placing motion and UV sensors on your outdoor lights, so you can automate those too (like making them come on at dusk or turn on whenever someone walks by).
- Integrating your lighting system with voice-assistant technology so your system is voice-controlled!
Pro Tip: Your custom integrator will handle all the complicated wiring and setup; tell them what you want to happen, and they'll make it so!
Sure, with a smart lighting system, you can quickly turn off the lights without having to get after the people in your home. And you can make it, so it seems like your home when you're not. But there's so much more you can do!
- Scene Controls: Also known as scene settings, these let you create lighting settings for a particular activity like reading or watching TV.
- RGBW/Color Temperature: These bulbs change the color and temperature of the light, which is excellent for showcasing artwork. As the light changes, you can see new things happening in the painting just from these subtle changes!
- Circadian Lighting: This lighting imitates the lighting you need for your sleep-wake cycle, which can improve your overall mental health.
- Movie Theater Lighting: These can be used to showcase that million-dollar painting or in your own home theater, complete with Dolby sound, home theater seating, and an integrated projector!
Pro Tip: Your custom integrator knows the ins and outs of all these lighting options, so talk to them first about what you need before starting your remodel!
Why Remodeling is the Perfect Time to Start
The time to retrofit your lighting is best when you're planning to remodel, preferably with a plan way in advance. The remodel is the perfect time to change your fixtures, replace the switches, and create a fully integrated system while creating a seamless look.
By the end of the remodel, you won't be able to tell anything is automated (unless you have the recessed control panel). The integrated system will work with a central brain and separate electric panels, which makes them more reliable than other systems. And while you're at retrofitting your lights, you can retrofit other parts of your home with smart automation, too, like your shades, door locks, security system, and more!
Time to Build!
Now that you know about the benefits of retrofit lighting solutions, it's time to contact us at Audio Video Consultants! Our experts have years of industry knowledge, and we'll use that to create the smart home of your dreams! You don't have to lift a finger (other than pointing at what you want)!
So, if you're thinking of remodeling soon (or even if it's a new build), don't wait to call; get your consultation appointment today!